Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday Funnies: BLONDIE

img

Chic Young's BLONDIE is, without a doubt, one of those comics that really doesn't need a whole lot of introduction. I'm not even going to bother. If you seriously have never heard of it before, check any one of the links after the comic, they'll tell you all you need to know (no sense in me re-typing the same info).

by (uncredited)
from BLONDIE #215, September 1975
Here's a typical strip, and tho' it's not an original, it's purty dang ol' close to an original:

img

Next is a short from the long-running comic, that has two things I wanted to point out; I'll explain as we go:

img
img
img

In case you didn't notice, it's the disappearing dog (Daisy). She's in one panel then mysteriously vanishes in the next. This is actually one of the first pieces of trivia that got me interested in the daily strip. Not sure how often they did it in the comics, but lots of people have noticed it happening in the dailies.

img
img
img

There at the end, Blondie apparently just whacked ol' Dagwood out of bed. That is totally out of character. Domestic violence never was a problem in the dailies.
Bad editing? Bad freelance writer? Don't know and can't say, but even I know that ain't right with a BLONDIE story.

That's it. The only two things I wanted to comment on. But it ain't over, have some delicious links:

★LINKS★

First Appearance courtesy of The Comics Journal
Other Early Strips courtesy of ASIFA & Joe Campana
OFFICIAL SITE
BLONDIE at The Library Of Congress
Old Radio Episodes
Dagwood to Dilbert, an essay that I don't quite agree with, but I'll admit it's a good short read
*

1 comment: