Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pocket Full Of Rain (and other stories) by Jason



Sometimes it's hard to explain exactly why I like certain comics and dislike others. Sometimes it's just the artwork I like, other times it's the story itself. With this book here, I just can't put my finger on it. I do like the whole book (it's an anthology of early works by 'Jason', and the art is not so bad despite it's very minimalist nature), but I have to say that there's something else going on here. Underneath the surface of this collection is an underlying theme; what it is, I don't know, but it resonates within me long after I've finished reading it; which is strange because none of these stories were ever intended to be joined together. I guess if I had to label it, I'd say that it 'rings true' to what life really is. Another way to describe it would be to say that it's like one of those foreign 'art films' that makes itself deliberately hard to understand.
This selection here doesn't really do any justice to the book as a whole, but I picked this one because it was the creepiest story I've read in quite a while.
We'll get back to this book again...guaranteed; I may collect my thoughts and give a better review of it sometime.

from POCKET FULL OF RAIN and other stories (ISBN: 978-1-56097-934-0), 2008

img
img

Yeah, that's a creepy pedophile story right there. And the impressive things about it is that it's only 2 pages long and leaves the nasty details to the readers imaginations. Y'all seriously need to check this book out if you get a chance.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment